Pages

Monday, December 3, 2012

An exclusive interview with MARY KOM




‘Challenge me…If I can, so could you!’ -Mary

What made you choose boxing as a career?
Since childhood, I have been playing all kinds of sports with athletics and martial arts as my favourites. I started my career as an athlete, but had to shift to boxing as it was going to be introduced for women. That prompted me to kick start boxing in the year 2000. After training for three months, I got a gold medal in the State level boxing championship and in six months another gold medal in the National level championship!
What are the challenges that you have faced to reach this stage?
My first challenge came from men who think I could not achieve anything in this field, especially because I am a woman. But I had decided to prove them wrong, which ultimately I did.
My second challenge came from the society who felt that being a married woman I couldn’t achieve anything further, which was also proved wrong with two World Champion titles which came my way after my marriage.
Third and biggest challenge of my life is the comeback that I made after giving birth to my twins. Rumours were doing rounds that I would be singing my swan song. Inspite of having a Caesarean (C-secion) delivery and the hardships I faced after that, my strong will and family support didn’t allow me to succumb to the pressure. Eventually I succeeded in making a big come back with another World Champion title.
Last, but not the least challenge was the Olympics where I had to fight in a different weight category. My inbuilt tendency to face challenges, makes me try harder. Prayers and best wishes from loved ones were invaluable in the journey of this accomplishment.
What prompted you to come back after your delivery?
Encouragement from my family, especially from my husband coupled with my ‘will’ and determination.
What is the difference between winning a ‘bronze’ medal in the Olympic and being a five-time world champion?
Not much of a difference. Rules and regulation are all the same. In World Championship, only one discipline is there while in Olympics focus is given to different kinds of disciplines. Moreover, people don’t seem to give much importance to the World Championship title while the Olympic Games get tremendous amount of attention.
Who was your sports idol when you were a kid?
Since childhood, I have always been inspired by Muhammad Ali.
How do you maintain a balance between family and career?
I am able to achieve this feat because of the support I get from my husband and family, and strong determination to accomplish my goals. I firmly believe in God (the Almighty) and with his blessings I am able to achieve what I long for and get lots of love and support from all the people of the nation. I also get sincere blessing from my community.
What advice would you give to upcoming boxers?
Youngster or budding boxers should take up challenges. They should take me as a challenge by thinking: “If Mary can achieve this, Why can’t I?”. With determination and hard work more things could be achieved, more than what I have. And I wish that the nation is filled with many more Marys in time to come.
How do you maintain your fitness during the off season?
It is very difficult to sustain the training schedule at home since I have to give some time to the kids. But I do make sure that I maintain a balanced schedule of training wherever I am.
What is the most important thing in your life?
Important thing is not to forget the blessings of  The Almighty who has made my dream come true.
What made you establish your boxing Academy?
I am not an established teacher, I am just a player, but I couldn’t turn down when some parents requested me to teach their children and make them a champion too. In the academy there are about 30 students. They are provided free food, lodgings, infrastructure and training. The academy has produced many sub-junior, junior and senior champions. But it is sad that these champions are given training in the open ground in the hot summer and sometimes training sessions have to be cancelled due to rain. Inspite of all the hardship, students have managed to shine at the National level.
Now, the Manipur government has promised to give 2 acres of land to support the infrastructure. But I would be relieved if the government could hasten the process of providing the land as soon as possible.

 Any upcoming international boxing events in the near future?
No participation or tournament for this year.
How are your preparations for Rio Olympic 2016 going on?   
Preparation has started. With the blessings of God and people of the nation, I will definitely try my best to come up with flying colours in the Rio Olympic.

No comments:

Post a Comment